How to Be a Great Marathon Spectator
I've got to say I've thus far been impressed with the organization of the Long Beach Marathon. Today I received yet another e-mail reminding me of important runner information. It included the most thorough spectator sheet I've ever seen. Check out the spectator hints, such as "Why is my marathoner acting funny?" and guidelines for cheering. My personal favorite is HINT #8 after the race:
Thanks to Suzanne C. up in Lake Forest, Calif., for pointing me to a wonderful and inspirational story in yesterday's New York Times about Hurricane Katrina victims training for the NYC marathon. Definitely worth reading.
And good luck to New Jersey's own Shore Turtle, who will be running his first half-marathon on Sunday. I have a feeling he's going to have to change his running blog to Shore Hare after he finishes.
While I'm at it, best wishes to Louise and her team doing the San Diego 3-Day, which involves walking 60 miles in three days to raise money for breast cancer research. It kicks off today.
Most likely your marathoner will want to recap the ENTIRE race for you. Listen patiently and help them celebrate this enormous accomplishment. Don't be surprised if you hear the same stories a few times. Your marathoner will be tired and may not remember in all of his/her excitement that you have already heard all of the details....
Thanks to Suzanne C. up in Lake Forest, Calif., for pointing me to a wonderful and inspirational story in yesterday's New York Times about Hurricane Katrina victims training for the NYC marathon. Definitely worth reading.
And good luck to New Jersey's own Shore Turtle, who will be running his first half-marathon on Sunday. I have a feeling he's going to have to change his running blog to Shore Hare after he finishes.
While I'm at it, best wishes to Louise and her team doing the San Diego 3-Day, which involves walking 60 miles in three days to raise money for breast cancer research. It kicks off today.