Preparations for My Grand Experiment
I didn't get the good night's rest usually required two days before a marathon, but that's ok. This is a "grand experiment" race and I might as well add sleep deprivation to the variables.
To recap: For a true change of pace, I opted this time to train for two months, rather than my usual four, and to run only three days a week, rather than my usual four or five. The idea was to spare myself injury, since one of next year's big goals is an ultramarathon and I must run marathons for a full year without injury before starting the training. Of course, the net result tomorrow won't be a PR, either. That goal's for the next marathon, where I'll train under a more traditional schedule.
The Family is Whole for a Few Days
As I type this in my darkened computer nook, The College Kid is asleep in a nearby bedroom. I'd forgotten to mention that Elise is visiting after a lovelorn SSU freshman from Oceanside invited her to join him on his trip home. We didn't expect to see her until December, so it's a wonderful surprise. It's been fun to have the household feel "normal" for a few days -- lots of food eaten, phones ringing, teenagers running in and out, cars missing from the driveway, and watching her do homework one night with her little sister.
Today's Plan
The plan for today is to leave here mid-morning and stop at my parents'home in The O.C. for a pasta lunch. Unlike past races, I'm eating the big meal at noon instead of 6. Another part of the experiment. Long Beach is about an hour from their house, so we'll hit the road with plenty of time to pick up my running bib, chip and, I'm sure, some goodies at the Expo. Our hotel is close to Cal State Long Beach, so that's where Gilbert's going to look for me on Sunday. My sister Kim and crew should be alongside him. If everything works as planned, I should be able to coast off the mental boost to the finish after seeing them.
To recap: For a true change of pace, I opted this time to train for two months, rather than my usual four, and to run only three days a week, rather than my usual four or five. The idea was to spare myself injury, since one of next year's big goals is an ultramarathon and I must run marathons for a full year without injury before starting the training. Of course, the net result tomorrow won't be a PR, either. That goal's for the next marathon, where I'll train under a more traditional schedule.
The Family is Whole for a Few Days
As I type this in my darkened computer nook, The College Kid is asleep in a nearby bedroom. I'd forgotten to mention that Elise is visiting after a lovelorn SSU freshman from Oceanside invited her to join him on his trip home. We didn't expect to see her until December, so it's a wonderful surprise. It's been fun to have the household feel "normal" for a few days -- lots of food eaten, phones ringing, teenagers running in and out, cars missing from the driveway, and watching her do homework one night with her little sister.
Today's Plan
The plan for today is to leave here mid-morning and stop at my parents'home in The O.C. for a pasta lunch. Unlike past races, I'm eating the big meal at noon instead of 6. Another part of the experiment. Long Beach is about an hour from their house, so we'll hit the road with plenty of time to pick up my running bib, chip and, I'm sure, some goodies at the Expo. Our hotel is close to Cal State Long Beach, so that's where Gilbert's going to look for me on Sunday. My sister Kim and crew should be alongside him. If everything works as planned, I should be able to coast off the mental boost to the finish after seeing them.