The Candy Canes and the Creche
| The Cardiff Kook decked out for the holidays. |
One of the (truly) bright spots of running this month has
been the brilliant displays of holiday lawns on my early morning runs. The
decorations and lights pale in comparison to the previous night’s offerings,
but there are enough of my neighbors who through their generosity or forgetfulness
leave their holiday lights on all night.
One house in particular takes the cake for its juxtaposition
of the secular and the sacred. A nativity scene – the kind that over the past two
decades has gotten municipalities in trouble -- is surrounded by a fence of
giant candy canes. Just beyond are neon palm trees with glowing globes, while
up on the rooftop is a giant Star of David.
Each time I pass it, I wonder if the homeowners are showing
homage or humor for such a distinctive display. This inner debate keeps my mind
off the leaden legs and labored breathing as I charge up a nearby hill, where
other property owners show more creative restraint.
Well, except for this one home on Calle de las Rosas that looks
like Disneyland vomited all over it. I love that one too.
And I love everything about this time of the year. I hope
that all of you, even those learning to celebrate without a loved one, will
find a kernel of tidings and joy in today, tomorrow and all of the days that
follow.
Merry Christmas, everyone.