And Then the Clouds Parted

It was a running joke (he he) during my tenure with the track club that if I planned a group run, it rained. I'm glad to see as part of my legacy that tradition remains.

Drops fell right up to the start, but then the clouds parted and the brave souls who planned a rainy run were blessed with blue skies as we started the 6th annual San Diego Track Club Christmas Card Lane Fun Run. My participation was by invitation since I'm no longer part of the training group.

It's a hard course. I know because I designed it and yet that didn't make me run any better up the steep hill at the start and gradual, grueling hill towards the end. But I got to reunite with old friends, like Irene and her husband, and meet a few new ones on the course. My conversation with a securities fraud attorney was especially interesting.

The predicted time competition is still in place, and I was knocked out of contention by a lot of other women more intuned with their abilities. The guy who won was only 5 seconds off of his 36:00 prediction for the tough 5-miler. To put it in context, I finished almost 18 minutes after him, and I felt like I was booking.

No one mentioned the tragedy in Connecticut at the onset, but it was on our minds and during post-run awards, the group's leader asked us to think of those whose grief is hard to grasp.

The run was dedicated to Darrel Lachel, one of the track club's most avid members and volunteers who passed away earlier this year. Darrel was that calming influence when I lost my cool; we shared a lot of fond memories working together at water stations over the years. Yesterday made me miss him, and to miss the group with whom I shared a decade of running. Jameson and Kate let newcomers knew who I am, Erin gave me a bag of her prized Christmas cookies, and Doreen made sure I went home with this year's mug.

The Christmas Card Lane Run always made me feel special for the day. Thanks, everyone, for keeping that tradition going too.


Christmas Card Lane Run 2007
Christmas Card Lane Run 2009
Christmas Card Lane Run 2010
Christmas Card Lane Run 2011




Popular posts from this blog

How 'Bout Them Hokies?!

I Leave You With This

A Local’s Guide to San Diego’s Sunset Cliffs