Should New York City Hold a Marathon Right Now?
I've been reading about the "controversy" surrounding the NYCRR's decision to hold the marathon this weekend despite the past week's devastation from a superstorm. There's a movement to have it postponed, but that's impractical. And there's an offer for anyone who can no longer make this year to be automatically entered next year, but you'll have to pay again.
Officials say a lot of infrastructure issues will be resolved by Sunday, and the police and fire officials will be more easily diverted because it's a slow day for them otherwise. Politicians keep noting that this is a huge economic driver for the city. And fans say the event is needed for a morale as well as money boost.
I had an online poll in my original post, but it messed up everything else on the blog so I took it down. So, are you a "Yes" or a "No"?
Officials say a lot of infrastructure issues will be resolved by Sunday, and the police and fire officials will be more easily diverted because it's a slow day for them otherwise. Politicians keep noting that this is a huge economic driver for the city. And fans say the event is needed for a morale as well as money boost.
I had an online poll in my original post, but it messed up everything else on the blog so I took it down. So, are you a "Yes" or a "No"?