This Hits Too Close to Home

We were at our former home today (for the last time, I hope!) when I saw television trucks go by and discovered two teenagers were raped in the greenbelt just up the street. I must have slept through the helicopters immediately after it happened because everyone else seemed to know about it.

It happened over the holiday weekend and around 8:15 p.m., when there were still people out and about and a party going on down the street. Heck, I've taken Maggy on walks at that hour in the exact same place and never felt unsafe.

This is the same park I ran past every single morning (usually dark) for four years. It's also the same park where the first two Christmas Card Lane Fun Runs began and ended. Normally when police helicopters circle overhead, it's because of a brush fire in Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve or because someone on a skateboard just robbed a Wells Fargo branch (true story...he got away with it too).

I haven't felt this vulnerable and angry since a woman runner was raped at noon along Lake Miramar several years ago. As always, these incidents are good reminders that we are never safe, not even in our own neighborhoods or yards. I feel for those two girls and I hope they catch the guys who did this. In the meantime, stay alert and stay the heck away from residential parks after dark!

Here's one of several news reports: Double Rape Reported in Rancho Penasquitos

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?