A Life Cut Way Too Short

I usually write about running and runners, but a very dear friend emailed me to tell me about a young athlete who lost her life while cycling.

Her name was Carla and apparently she was on her way to becoming one of the best female cyclists in the world. Only last week she was riding in her native South Africa when she turned to retrieve a fallen “cycling computer” and looked over the wrong shoulder to see if it was safe to make a U-turn, momentarily forgetting she wasn't in the U.S., where they drive on the right side of the road. She was struck by a truck and died.

Our friend Rodney has a son who is a competitive cyclist at a small college in North Carolina, and Sam and Carla had grown close. Sam even spent the winter holiday training and touring with her in South Africa. I’m sure her sudden death hit him hard, as it did everyone else who knew her. Rodney told me, "I know she had a temendous impact on Sam, and helped him see that being fiercely competitive and selfless are not mutually exclusive."

What got me in the gut was when Rodney mentioned a fund to help her family, whom Carla had helped support with her winner’s earnings. Her father was starting from scratch after moving the family to the U.S., and her mother suffers from multiple sclerosis, which surely limits a lot of things like employment opportunities. Carla apparently devoted a lot of her time to raising funds and awareness for this disease.

So I write this post to bring attention to Carla’s Circle and to also remind everyone to stay diligent. Even the best of us can make honest-but-costly mistakes. Carla was the same age as my older daughter, and I cannot fathom life without her. My heart goes out to the Swart family and strong circle of friends that continue to surround them.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?