The Danger of Darkness
You are running your usual neighborhood route and hit the crosswalk button at a traffic light to run across a quiet street. You have your reflective vest and cell phone and aren't wearing earbuds because it's only 5:45 a.m. and still pitch dark.
You get the signal to walk and are midway across when you hear a car approaching. It is slowing but not enough to actually stop. The driver misses you by inches, then speeds off.
Do you:
(a) Call 911 on your cell phone, knowing the chance of a police chase is slim to none?
(b) Make note of the car's make and model, knowing the chance of finding it later to leave a nasty note is also slim to none?
(c) Use all that anger to power up the hills, ending the route 10 minutes faster than usual?
Yes, I opted for (c) while obsessing about (a) and (b). This is the second time in a week I've almost been hit by an early morning motorist. I am doing everything right, but the past week just proves that staying aware is not enough. I pick areas where there is some motor traffic because then I'm not as secluded. But that has its drawbacks too.
Stay safe and use common sense if you run while it's dark or as the sun is coming up or going down since solar glare can be blinding to motorists too.
You get the signal to walk and are midway across when you hear a car approaching. It is slowing but not enough to actually stop. The driver misses you by inches, then speeds off.
Do you:
(a) Call 911 on your cell phone, knowing the chance of a police chase is slim to none?
(b) Make note of the car's make and model, knowing the chance of finding it later to leave a nasty note is also slim to none?
(c) Use all that anger to power up the hills, ending the route 10 minutes faster than usual?
Yes, I opted for (c) while obsessing about (a) and (b). This is the second time in a week I've almost been hit by an early morning motorist. I am doing everything right, but the past week just proves that staying aware is not enough. I pick areas where there is some motor traffic because then I'm not as secluded. But that has its drawbacks too.
Stay safe and use common sense if you run while it's dark or as the sun is coming up or going down since solar glare can be blinding to motorists too.