Irrational Optimism
I have lists everywhere right now.
On my countertops. On my desks. On my white board at work.
By my bedside. By my tea stash. And by the stack of presents still left to wrap.
They’re in my head. In my computer. In my car.
None of these lists synch up to the days as they unfold. But somehow the stuff on them does get done, if only after being carried over a few days or weeks to other lists.
I don’t recall ever being this overwhelmed at the holidays, but I’m sure I have and I’ve just conveniently crossed it from my memory much like I long to do with this growing grocery list before me.
The funny thing is, with all that there is to fret about these days – my mother’s rapidly deteriorating health, a dying dog, my sisters’ continued unemployment, all these layoffs and our all-too-quickly-depleting college fund for the girls – I can’t stop feeling good. I mean, I’m really happy right now.
Part of it is the migraine headaches, which recently disappeared as mysteriously as they arrived. Anyone who’s been released from the grip of chronic pain knows what I’m talking about. And part of it is physical. I’m running strong these days and, truthfully, enjoying not having a training schedule for the rest of the month. I’m also gaining back weight, but what do you expect from a woman who continually puts herself in charge of group breakfasts and cookie exchanges.
A co-worker said he’s experiencing the same thing. He termed it “Irrational Optimism.” I like it. Matter of fact, I’m going find a way to bottle it. Soon as I figure out what it takes, I’ll be sure to add it to my list.
On my countertops. On my desks. On my white board at work.
By my bedside. By my tea stash. And by the stack of presents still left to wrap.
They’re in my head. In my computer. In my car.
None of these lists synch up to the days as they unfold. But somehow the stuff on them does get done, if only after being carried over a few days or weeks to other lists.
I don’t recall ever being this overwhelmed at the holidays, but I’m sure I have and I’ve just conveniently crossed it from my memory much like I long to do with this growing grocery list before me.
The funny thing is, with all that there is to fret about these days – my mother’s rapidly deteriorating health, a dying dog, my sisters’ continued unemployment, all these layoffs and our all-too-quickly-depleting college fund for the girls – I can’t stop feeling good. I mean, I’m really happy right now.
Part of it is the migraine headaches, which recently disappeared as mysteriously as they arrived. Anyone who’s been released from the grip of chronic pain knows what I’m talking about. And part of it is physical. I’m running strong these days and, truthfully, enjoying not having a training schedule for the rest of the month. I’m also gaining back weight, but what do you expect from a woman who continually puts herself in charge of group breakfasts and cookie exchanges.
A co-worker said he’s experiencing the same thing. He termed it “Irrational Optimism.” I like it. Matter of fact, I’m going find a way to bottle it. Soon as I figure out what it takes, I’ll be sure to add it to my list.