The Bomboozle, for Rizzle
I woke Sunday morning the same way I went to bed: stiff, sore and tired to the bone. Still, I'm running the Navy's 4M Bridge Run next Sunday and figured it might be wise to get some mileage and hills under me, so I began my Mother's Day with a short run over various hillsides. Next week's run up and over the Coronado bridge is purely for fun, and I'm letting my friends visiting from Florida set the pace. I'll start "racing" later in the season.
For a mom whose children are many hours from home, I sure had a hectic holiday. Soon as I returned from the run, I showered and headed with another running mom to visit our injured friend Vicki at the UCSD Medical Center. She looked much better than expected and seemed in good spirits -- both sure signs she's going to be OK even if she's still recuperating by the time her son's college graduation and daughter's wedding roll around next month.
The cyclist turned out to be a very successful local triathlete with many Ironmans and marathons to his credit. Vicki and her husband spoke very well of him and said he was to undergo surgery to repair a vertebrae in his neck. She doesn't remember anything after the impact, which is probably just as well.
After all the Mother's Day calls back and forth, and time to become better acquainted with the iPod Nano I received from Gilbert and the girls, I headed down to the Old Globe Theater to watch Mare Winningham starring in an excellent rendition of "The Glass Menegerie." I couldn't help but remember a time when both she and I were young enough to play Laura instead of the now more appropriate part of Amanda, the Mom. But, hey, that day was all about the Mom, right?
P.S. My two daughters have excellent taste in humorous greeting cards and the title of this post is for the one who demanded their efforts be recognized in this blog post.
For a mom whose children are many hours from home, I sure had a hectic holiday. Soon as I returned from the run, I showered and headed with another running mom to visit our injured friend Vicki at the UCSD Medical Center. She looked much better than expected and seemed in good spirits -- both sure signs she's going to be OK even if she's still recuperating by the time her son's college graduation and daughter's wedding roll around next month.
The cyclist turned out to be a very successful local triathlete with many Ironmans and marathons to his credit. Vicki and her husband spoke very well of him and said he was to undergo surgery to repair a vertebrae in his neck. She doesn't remember anything after the impact, which is probably just as well.
After all the Mother's Day calls back and forth, and time to become better acquainted with the iPod Nano I received from Gilbert and the girls, I headed down to the Old Globe Theater to watch Mare Winningham starring in an excellent rendition of "The Glass Menegerie." I couldn't help but remember a time when both she and I were young enough to play Laura instead of the now more appropriate part of Amanda, the Mom. But, hey, that day was all about the Mom, right?
P.S. My two daughters have excellent taste in humorous greeting cards and the title of this post is for the one who demanded their efforts be recognized in this blog post.