Race Report: Bay Bridge Run

I can’t ever remember getting race instructions in the mail that began by encouraging you to bring your camera. But, boy, am I glad I did. And others probably are too. The Navy’s 22nd annual Bay Bridge Run offered sweltering temps, an unexpected stop and spectacular views of downtown San Diego and Coronado.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this one wasn’t run for time. Good thing too because despite an official Runners Start and a Walkers Start there were plenty of both types in each section, so it took awhile to actually get running and keep moving. There were no timing chips to accurately record 8,000 runners, which proved a bit of a problem at the end since there also was no one keeping order. But I’m getting ahead of myself – and the actual run.

The start was at the western base of the Gaslamp District in downtown San Diego. Here are my friends Sue, Vickie and Tina, who flew in from Florida for the weekend. It should be noted the day prior we went hiking in the morning and spent the entire afternoon walking around Del Mar and La Jolla. The wine and falafel happy hour, followed by a sushi dinner, were a wonderful way to carbo load, let me tell you.

We first headed up an overpass that runs along Harbor Drive (see top picture, which is my favorite shot). Less than a mile into it, we all had to stop to wait for the Trolley to pass.

The water station was in Chicano Park in National City. I stopped to snap a photo of the only spectators. This area doesn’t host many road races.

The climb up the bridge began in earnest after the water station. We slowed, not because of the hill or the weaving, but because I just couldn’t stop taking photos. It’s a good thing my friend Sue is so patient.


The Navy had a helicopter hovering overhead at the bridge’s high point.

The descent went well, except my sunburn and the concrete’s heat made it feel like my face was on fire. Sue and I weaved in and out of crowds to the very end, where we finished together. The finish chutes were interesting, given no one stayed in order – or even in their own corral. Everyone just started handing over their name tags, which pushed back some finish times and pissed off Sue. (You gotta click the below photo and look at all of the runners on the bridge still coming in....)

After we were all reunited, we grabbed our Padres tickets (the race premium was a ticket to next weekend’s baseball game), T-shirts, bagels and bananas and then headed toward the ferry (see photo below). The line would prove too long and our wait for the buses too much for my weary visitors. Somehow, we ended up moving ahead of the hundreds and hundreds of others waiting in line for a coveted spot in a 32-seat Trolley. Actually, I know how we did it, but I’ve been sworn to secrecy.

You can click on each picture for a bigger and better view!

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?