A Virtual Reality


 

The other day I recalled a conversation decades ago with a fellow member of a corporate running team known as The Deadliners.  One of the stars of the team was running late for a highly competitive 10k in downtown Norfolk. We feared she’d be a no-show and, as a result, we wouldn’t make it onto the podium that day. 

 

When June finally did turn up, she confessed she wasn’t enthusiastic about running the race, which carried a steep fee for the times. 

 

“Remind me again why I just paid $45 to do something I could also do for free?”

 

I couldn't deliver an adequate answer. She had a very good point. But one of our colleagues, Dan, was ready with a response.

 

“Duh, June. We do it for the T-shirt and maybe a medal.”

 

And so, some 25 years later, here we are, now running virtual races for a T-shirt and maybe a medal (back then given to those who placed; now, to those who participate). If not a T-shirt, then we seek some other swag to justify a fee to do something we could do for free. Maybe, like that race, we want to contribute to some great cause that receives proceeds. Maybe we just need a little motivation. It can’t be for the course support or crowds because there aren’t any at present.

 

If I sound dismissive of this movement, I’m not. In fact, today I took part in my first virtual fun run, a day ahead of when the annual one would have been held in my old Scripps Ranch neighborhood under better circumstances. When the Old Pros sent an email saying it was still on but with obvious changes, I was skeptical. Then I saw the discounted price, Covid-cute T-shirt design and run rules, and I was sold. 

 

With this one, and others I’ve looked into, you essentially register online as always and receive your swag (running bib and freebies) ahead of time so you can proudly display your race gear on your run. The course is at your pleasure and pace. Run what would have been the race, fast as you can, for an unofficial PR. Or, wog it around your neighborhood streets, parks or trails until you hit the official distance. The flexibility with when, where and how you complete the fun run is all up to you. 

 

There is usually a window of dates in which to officially do your run/walk, and we chose the day before the holiday to avoid “running into” many people since we likely would have face covers off  due to heavy breathing and facial perspiration.  We also started hours later than usual since no one needed to get up early and plan for parking.

 

We chose a nearby park that’s a mile in circumference and located a half-mile from our house, making it the exact length of the 2M fun run we typically do. Lacking any race momentum, we took our time and frequent walk breaks. We debated which route to take home to hit the "finish line" right on time.

 

Virtual events are here to stay I think. Eventually we’ll resume on-site races, and they will draw crowds. But I also think event organizers know a golden opportunity when they see it. For the same profit and less work, virtual options will become the norm and they will continue to draw runners and walkers even after it’s safe to be together. I'm sure there will be waivers absolving organizers of ... everything since they won't be able to control participant behaviors for those running off-site and off-hours. Marathons and halfs might be a harder sell. But I fully expect shorter distances to attract people who prefer to run their own race, with perks. Yours truly included.

 

 

My race buddy at our favorite park this morning

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?