‘OK, Let’s Do This!’


 

For more than two years, I’ve lamented leaving Les Mills’ BodyPump, a group exercise class I took consistently every Tuesday and Friday early morning at a local 24-Hour Fitness. Then I abruptly left both the class and the gym. When I finally returned to San Diego, I started back at my original gym on a nearby military base, having finally gotten over the issues that forced me to flee there.

 

Now it’s time to move on again. Due to the ongoing pandemic (and maybe well beyond it), all local military gyms are open only to active duty and their dependents, plus DoD civilians who work on base. I do not fit any of those categories. And returning to 24-Hour Fitness isn’t an option, being as they are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and do not appear eager to reopen in my suburb.

 

I started looking into online exercise programs, especially free ones that a friend recommended from YouTube. But I just couldn’t connect with the format or instructors. My older daughter told me she’d signed up for a popular exercise-on-demand streaming service after her Orange Theory Fitness shut down during the pandemic. I began to investigate, but that program is heavy on spinning classes and talking you through a run. Neither appealed to me.

 

That’s when I found Les Mills On Demand. I’m so happy I did. I’m only a couple of weeks into it, but I will gladly pay $15/month to continue accessing a huge library of workouts that help build cardio, strength and mobility. The price is lower if you commit to longer periods, but if I’ve learned anything in the past three months it’s to not plan too far ahead.

 

What I like:

 

Each type of class comes with several successive instruction videos of 30 minutes or less that either introduce or familiarize you with the moves and kinesiology behind them so you practice proper form and can keep up with the longer versions. With some new-to-me workouts, like BodyCombat based on martial arts moves, I can watch repeatedly to better perfect moves and combinations at my own pace, not an instructor's.


I have a huge library of classes to choose from. Hundreds. This helps ensure I don’t get bored and start mailing it in—a tendency of mine when using DVDs or free versions of on-demand programs. You also can choose select workout plans or create your own.


The music. This was always a draw for Les Mills classes. The choreography syncs with beats to help you feel energized and refocus on reps when muscles start to fatigue. With the online version, most songs are cover versions; whereas, when I took the classes in person, they were the original recording artists. 


The instructors. Les Mills is out of New Zealand, so most instructors have that mellifluous Kiwi accent. But the classes often feature top-notch instructors from around the world. I love that. Their energy and enthusiasm is infectious without being intimidating.


The countdowns. With each segment, a clock counts down how many minutes and seconds are left. Sadly, this is currently a huge motivator for me as I reintroduce my unconditioned muscles to hard work.


The setting. I tend to do the cardio workouts in my garage, wearing wireless earplugs while watching on an elevated laptop stand (i.e., carton I found lying around). I am not as coordinated nor flexible as I used to be, but who cares when you are an audience of one. I never enjoyed being watched, and kinda judged those that did. I do the strength and mobility classes in the comforts of my bedroom (sometimes in my PJs), which is carpeted so I’m not crawling on a mat over concrete. And if I develop embarrassing sweat stains or break wind during crunches, who cares?


The pace. Drink too much caffeine ahead of a workout? No sweat! Push pause and run to the bathroom, then resume.  Miss a move? Go back and try again!


The time savings. When you have to go to a class, you must budget time for travel, parking, setting up, etc. to start and end a class at specific times. No need when you control the clock.


The post-workout feel. I’ve intentionally taken it easy since February in an effort to first overcome a long illness and then stay away from urgent care or hospitals. Walking is great, but it doesn’t produce the kind of movement or sweat equity to get in better shape. I love walking back into the house, breathing heavy and perspiring. I love the endorphins that continue to circulate after I shower and head into my home office or start housework and errands. I love the soreness the next day, confirming my efforts. My cooped-up family loves me better too. 

 

What I find frustrating:

 

A bigger screen. You can log in from up to three devices, and I wish I could sync the app with my smart TV. But so far it hasn’t worked as planned. I remain hopeful because the old oil stains on the garage floor, water stains on the ceiling and proliferation of “stuff” surrounding my workouts sometimes make me wonder what else lurks nearby. Plus, it’s a pain to move our cars out and back in. (Yes, I know I know…such first-world problems.)


Wonky wi-fi. This has nothing to do with the plan and everything to do with working out in an area surrounded by concrete and farther from our wireless router. Some workouts stream without a hitch; others from the same exact location continue to buffer over and over. 


Weird Bluetooth. Twice now my Bluetooth earplugs have switched mid-workout from the audio coming from the laptop to one coming from my cell phone in use by someone else. I have to stop and explain to the caller why there’s sudden heavy breathing and then find the phone to disconnect.


Equipment. There’s still a shortage of certain equipment (a really good barbell with appropriate weight plates in my case) that would make these workouts better. But for now I manage with dumb bells.

 

As you can see, the pros well outweigh the cons, which also are fixable from my end. Those who enjoy the company of others might miss that aspect with this form factor, but that was the one thing I didn’t miss about my old BodyPump classes. Sure, the competitive nature probably got me to go hard instead of give up at certain segments. But now I can dance and dip like no one’s watching…because they aren’t!


 

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?