A Resentment Unmasked
Now that more of us are out in the streets and parks (and beaches here in sunny San Diego), the rift between runners and walkers and cyclists is heating up too. No one is in a good headspace right now after months of forced quarantines, but the rudeness is really ramping up.
Last Sunday I went on an hour’s walk at dawn and encountered at least 15 people exercising too. Every runner lacked any type of face covering (as in there was nothing visible to suggest they even brought it with them) and every walker kept their noses and mouths protected. The cyclists were split, but most had a mask that they may or may not have put on when coming within six feet of someone (that would be me).
Dirty looks at both offenders and the offended are easier to find than a Wendy’s hamburger now. That good vibe we get after watching a new episode of the thoroughly uplifting Some Good News dissipates as soon as we head outdoors and risk evil eyes and threatening finger gestures. This isn’t what we anticipated upon our COVID-19 emancipation.
I realize that in addition to a practical statement, people who blatantly shun protective gear are also making a personal and political one. And, it’s possible someone might just have forgotten their face gear that morning or evening and didn’t want to turn around to get it. I also know there are several people in my immediate neighborhood who flat-out refuse to wear anything on their face. It makes for awkward encounters, to say the least.
There’s an interesting article in the Washington Post this week about the friction between runners and walkers and cyclists and especially animus toward runners since they are apparently least likely to spare us from their substantive respiratory and perspirant exhaust. I’m not gonna lie: When one of them passes me from behind and comes within a foot of touching, I get pissed after the initial heartbeat pause. I couldn’t see nor obviously hear them approach, but they definitely saw me and chose a close encounter instead of warning or wider berth. (And, just so you know, I keep the volume low while listening to podcasts or music on walks or runs for just that reason.)
I think it stinks that these runners don’t show common courtesy. I think it stinks that we are still restricted in where we can go and with whom we can gather for a walk, hike, ride or run. I think it stinks that if you are moving faster than a group showing social distance, it’s near impossible to get around them safely in close quarters.
But, hey, what do I care. I can block all that stinks in the world right now with my mask or other face covering. And I can pull it down when no one’s around and take in all that sweet-scented air.
