Race Review: Surfing Madonna 5k
About a year ago I set up a Pinterest board for all of the road races I wanted to try this year, if only for the novelty. The first one I pinned was the Surfing Madonna Low Tide Run in Encinitas. Billed as the Guinness World Record Holder for Largest Low Tide Beach Run, I knew it would be a crowd pleaser and I was right.
What I didn't anticipate (and neither did other newcomers) was that low tide yesterday fell at 1:30 p.m., so the 10k/12k began at 1:30 and our race, the 5k, at 1:45. Most people run mornings, mid-day or evenings, so the unusual time fit the unusual course. But it made for some odd meal planning and also for hot conditions.
Getting There: The race begins and ends at Moonlight Beach, which is one of the bigger public beaches in the area. If you're going to drive to the race, get there early. Parking in nearby lots and streets is typically packed on Saturdays anyway, and yesterday was perfect beach weather (low 80s) so plenty of non-runners were there too. We had a family member drop us off and then used Lyft to get back.
The Course: Despite the congestion, once you're past the start and land on the harder packed sand, it's easy to maneuver and run. Sure, there's some weaving, but because it's low tide, everyone spreads out quickly and the spongy surface is a nice respite from the hard asphalt and concrete most of us usually use. Beware of tide pools in spots -- lots of us did not and ran in soggy feet. Most everyone had on running shoes though if you're still into minimalist shoe wear, this is a great time to wear "barefoot runner" shoes. I did see people running barefoot, but I also saw some blisters by the end.
All courses go north up into Leucadia. The 5k runners turnaround near Beacon's Beach and the 10k's at the Grandview Beach access point. The novelty of running with thousands of others on the beach wore off by the first mile because it was so warm, and I'm out of shape. But once we turned around to return, we had a much welcomed headwind to cool everyone down. The beach was pretty level, so there wasn't an issue with running uneven or imbalanced. And there were plenty of people in costumes (it is close to Halloween) to keep everyone entertained on the course. (Along with drummers near the midpoint!)
The 10k/12k runners actually go beyond the finish line and then return but it's a straight shot for the 5k runners/walkers. There's an incline and the loose sand can slow you down at the very end, but it's otherwise a nice end point. Medals were insanely large and made of wood. There seemed to be lots of freebies for finishers, but we just got our boxed water and headed back.
My time was pitiful (averaged 12-minute miles), but I expected that. This is one of those truly fun runs. I wouldn't anticipate a PR. Especially if you stop frequently as I did to take pictures and video.
The Swag: The T-shirts are a nice cotton/rayon blend so very soft and lightweight. And this year's were navy blue, which I really liked. You also get an ocean mug and personalized bib number. There's a band playing for the post-race festival, too.
For those curious about the name of the race to save the oceans from harm, years ago a large mosaic of a surfing Madonna and message to Save the Ocean was mysterious installed on a public structure in Encinitas. It drew a lot of attention and was ordered removed by the city, which deemed it graffiti. The artist who'd created it came out of hiding and relocated it to its current location near the base of Encinitas Blvd a couple of blocks from the beach. It's a nice reminder that we are all stewards of the land and seas and should do our part to preserve both. The race really reinforced that as well.