Stumbling Towards Wellness

I wasn't even three minutes into my early morning walk Sunday - my second since injuring my back three weeks ago - when I went to pick up the pace and just collapsed. My left leg refused to support me.

I thought it was a fluke, so I pressed on. Within a few more minutes, I tried the same thing and this time I caught myself before I hit the ground. My confidence and body were shaken and I ended up turning around soon as I got to the bottom of the hill and returned home, figuring I wasn't ready to walk two days in a row. That night, I was walking through an eerily abandoned Balboa Park (don't ask) and felt the need to move quickly to my car. Once I made my move, down I went.

Tuesday morning was more of the same, so I started scanning Web sites for a diagnosis. This one site was convinced I'd just suffered a stroke and demanded I call 911. Another was more generous, giving me 8 hours to seek medical help.

I couldn't get a consult with my HMO doctor because we're apparently both too busy. Instead, I talked to some others with a bad back, and far as I can tell my leg weakness is from nerve damage. I just have to wait a few more weeks for those nerves to regenerate.

In the meantime, I am taking life a little more slowly. It's not a bad way to go.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?