Why Do We Run and Walk for Charity?
Not sure how I feel about an editorial in the New York Times that questions the ubiquitous charity fundraiser walks in most urban areas and many suburban ones.
I've done both charity walks and run on behalf of a charity, and they are both similar and different. And, even if they annoyingly violate basic race etiquette or use a charity to do an end run around a sold-out race, charity runners (and walkers!) deserve a certain amount of respect. It is not easy to ask for money, especially in this economy, and many have personal ties to the cause they are supporting.
On the other hand, consider this passage from the piece:
In the charitable ritual that has evolved, two sides expend energy, but only the sponsors’ efforts directly aid the poor. The others’ is pure sweat equity that goes nowhere but down the necks of the participants. Consider, too, the public resources expended: the rescue squads and medics along the way, the police sealing off urban arteries, the snarling of traffic. We tie our cities in knots. Enduring such inconvenience is what each of us gives to the cause.
I do not question the sincerity of the participants, but in these mass mobilizations I see many lost opportunity costs. I recognize the value of exercise and companionship, but question why society values these schemes.
Despite this excerpt, the author favors these events. He just questions whether resources could be better spent devoting all of that energy elsewhere. I think a lot of people who run for charity wouldn't be as involved otherwise, mainly because they have limited time and would prefer to use it for training, not volunteering at a soup kitchen or cancer unit on Saturday or Sunday mornings. In doing so, they help both their bodies and their charity stay in better shape. I recommend you read the piece, then let us know where you come down on the issue.
I've done both charity walks and run on behalf of a charity, and they are both similar and different. And, even if they annoyingly violate basic race etiquette or use a charity to do an end run around a sold-out race, charity runners (and walkers!) deserve a certain amount of respect. It is not easy to ask for money, especially in this economy, and many have personal ties to the cause they are supporting.
On the other hand, consider this passage from the piece:
In the charitable ritual that has evolved, two sides expend energy, but only the sponsors’ efforts directly aid the poor. The others’ is pure sweat equity that goes nowhere but down the necks of the participants. Consider, too, the public resources expended: the rescue squads and medics along the way, the police sealing off urban arteries, the snarling of traffic. We tie our cities in knots. Enduring such inconvenience is what each of us gives to the cause.
I do not question the sincerity of the participants, but in these mass mobilizations I see many lost opportunity costs. I recognize the value of exercise and companionship, but question why society values these schemes.
Despite this excerpt, the author favors these events. He just questions whether resources could be better spent devoting all of that energy elsewhere. I think a lot of people who run for charity wouldn't be as involved otherwise, mainly because they have limited time and would prefer to use it for training, not volunteering at a soup kitchen or cancer unit on Saturday or Sunday mornings. In doing so, they help both their bodies and their charity stay in better shape. I recommend you read the piece, then let us know where you come down on the issue.