Running With Allergies

For the past month I’ve developed a new routine to try and overcome a major weakness in my running: overall fitness. So I’ve been running less and hitting the machines more to provide more balance and to prevent burnout. Ideally, I’d like to hit a new masters PR in the 10k this summer but a recent visit to the doctor’s office has me reconsidering.

I’ve developed severe allergies that have dramatically restricted my running (and breathing) capabilities. Here are a few things I’ve learned about running with allergies:

Pollen counts are highest between 5 and 10 a.m. So, if you can, avoid running during those hours.

Wind is your worst enemy; sunglasses, your best friend. The wind factor is obvious, but if you are caught in a windstorm or just hit a pollen pocket being blown around, those sunglasses help protect your eyes so they itch less.

It’s easier to develop allergies as you age. I rarely suffered from nasal allergies until last year, and then the case was rather mild. But as we age, we become more susceptible to airborne allergies. That’s partly because over more time you’re exposed to even more allergens.

Not all allergies are alike. I had been self-medicating with an over-the-counter, popular allergy relief pill. Only it brought very little relief. That’s because my kind of allergy doesn’t respond to pills. It needs to be inhaled. Also, if symptoms last less than two weeks, you likely had a cold, not allergies.

When you eat is as important as what you eat. In the course of researching allergies, I discovered that one of the best ways to stave off a cold is to eat 300-500 calories within 20 minutes of finishing a workout since your immune system is otherwise weakened during this time. The nutritional boost helps elevate those allergen fighters.

Shower immediately after an outdoor run. This helps get all the allergens, like pollen, off your skin and clothing.

Soon as you feel sick, cut back. Way back. A lot of people wait until a cold hits the chest, but if you cut back your mileage by 50% at the first symptoms of a cold, you stand a better chance of returning to full training sooner than if you continue to run as if you’re well. Again, your immune system will remain suppressed for longer if you don’t let it go to work sooner.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?