Now I'm Nervous

Today a group of us tackled the steep Torrey Pines hill in preparation for a 10k trail race in two weeks. We all made it to the top without walking and had plenty of energy to spare to the end. This training cycle, because it's a hilly race course and uneven surface, I've been focused on conditioning for endurance and strength, not speed. My plan appeared to be working this morning, and we all definitely left for various breakfast points much more confident.

Then I met up with another group for breakfast and mentioned my upcoming race. My tablemate was familiar with it. This guy is one of the fastest in his age group throughout all of San Diego County, and he said that you essentially run up the side of a mountain and once you finally descend, you will feel like you are going off a cliff ("because essentially you are."). The good news: the last half mile is flat and fast.

Here's the thing: this guy does not exaggerate. He's very literal, which means that his perception of the course's toughness is likely to at least match mine, and now I'm nervous. Would it have been better to not know how hard it's going to be? Will it make any difference at this point?

This led me to consider other reviews I've read or heard throughout the years in preparation for a race. Often, I find, the complaints, particularly about elevations, are overblown and heavily influenced by unusually warm weather or injuries. You can almost tell immediately by someone's language how accurate the assessment. Has anyone else noticed that too?

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?