The Easy Street Route


I just uploaded pictures from my position as a volunteer at this morning's 46th annual Balboa 4 Mile cross-country race. I love this opening shot not only because it looks like one guy is running on air, but because it also shows the age range in the open category. There were so many kids under 18, even 12, giving it their all today.

I've long believed that volunteering as a course marsal or aid station worker is a great way to recharge and to revise your own race strategies. Plus, you do not have to worry about heat, hydration or the lines at the portable toilets. This is a tough course, which includes running up both of the biggest hills in Balboa Park (Powder and ZigZag) in addition to smaller hills. This year there was a new celebrity race competing for participants. But between the great turnouts at both events, I think it was a good day for one and all.

I worked a well marked part of the course, which allowed me to take pictures while yelling, "Move on to the grass!" Really, there was no need to yell. In addition to being fast runners, they're also smart.

Have a great Labor Day weekend, everyone.





Popular posts from this blog

How 'Bout Them Hokies?!

I Leave You With This

A Local’s Guide to San Diego’s Sunset Cliffs