Warming Up Before a Race
I just read this week's Personal Best column in the New York Times on the lack of scientific proof that specific types of warm-ups work any better than others before a race.
Back in my competitive days, my pre-race ritual included several sprints for 10k or under races and about a mile jog before a half marathon. Then, I made the typically rookie call to "save my energy" and not run at all before a marathon. Suddenly, that became the norm and I merely walked and did some static stretches, if that.
I'm curious: What is your warm-up routine for, say, a 10k? Is it different for a marathon?
Here's the NY Times piece for reference: The Right Way to Warm-up Is (Your Answer Here)
Back in my competitive days, my pre-race ritual included several sprints for 10k or under races and about a mile jog before a half marathon. Then, I made the typically rookie call to "save my energy" and not run at all before a marathon. Suddenly, that became the norm and I merely walked and did some static stretches, if that.
I'm curious: What is your warm-up routine for, say, a 10k? Is it different for a marathon?
Here's the NY Times piece for reference: The Right Way to Warm-up Is (Your Answer Here)