Product Review: Sof Sole Inserts
I was nearing the end of my Nike Pegasus shoes’ life span when a package from the folks at Sof Sole arrived for me to review. Six weeks later, I’m ready to report on my findings.
I was given two different types of inserts, the Athlete and the Airr for women. Both are designed to provide maximum cushioning for high-impact activities, such as running. For perspective, I was coming off a four-month hiatus while allowing a torn achilles tendon to heal. Doctor’s orders were to ease back into running on super-soft surfaces. I’d just finished that phase when the Sof Sole goodies arrived.
Nor, should I add, have I developed any aches or injuries related to this shoe/insert adjustment despite now doing a bulk of my running on harsh asphalt and concrete. And, my Nikes still seem to have a lot of life to them. The outside corners are not as worn as they should be after so much mileage on them. Not sure if this is related to these inserts, but it’s the first time I’ve been able to extend the life of my shoes for this long.
It’s important to note too that certain types of running shoes are not compatible with some inserts. I happen to be neutral-footed. If you are flat-footed and wear a motion control shoe, an insert may not be useful with such a rigid shoe. And if you have exceptionally high arches, these inserts may not provide enough arch support (though, to be honest, I didn’t try out the high arch version). Still, these rivaled the feel of expensive customized orthodics, which I’ve had before too.
In addition to the inserts, Sof Sole also sent me some of its other products, including Coolmax Trainer socks for men and women. The only noticeable difference between the two genders was color and ankle length. These socks were soft and just the right thickness – not paper thin and not bulky thick. They kept my feet warm during cold weather runs, and I’m hoping they wick away moisture in the coming months to keep my feet cool. My only criticism is that occasionally the heel slides in, but this is one reason I usually don’t wear low-cut socks. I love the look though, and wear them to the gym and around the house at every opportunity.
Finally, I initially was puzzled by the Little Hotties hand and toe warmers in the package (though the same company makes YakTrax, which were near and dear to me when I ran during Cape Cod winters). Then I took them with me to central Oregon in late March, where it was still very much winter. Both products did indeed give off heat and keep my hands and toes warm for about 10 minutes before the heat began to wane. They are made of iron powder, water, salt, activated charcoal and vermiculite – environmentally safe ingredients so disposal is more guilt-free.
I’m going to continue running this week in the Airr inserts. I’ll also definitely buy one of the inserts going forth whenever I replace my running shoes since a $20 expense will save me five times that amount is less shoe buying throughout the year.