I, Chi

Several of you commented in last week’s post that what I described sounded very much like chi running. You’re correct.

Today I decided to put some of what I learned last week into practice for a 6-mile run that began and ended on scenic Harbor Island. I ran the first half with Irene and made a conscious effort to slightly lean forward and to move my shoulders and free up some range in my hips. I thought it would both feel weird and hold me back, but it was just the opposite. I had no problem maintaining the form and I think it might have helped me with my pace – especially since I didn’t get much sleep last night and felt tired. This was especially true after the aid station turnaround, when Irene left a little ahead of me and I decided, once I had her in my sights, to catch her by a specific street light.

I barely made it, but I did it without feeling winded. I think the modified running form really helped.

After the run, Dawn the chiropractor offered to do a spot analysis of my running form. She looked particularly at my foot strike and reported it was sound. A lot of people with my type of injury apparently run on the balls of their feet. Not me. I go heel to toe, like everyone recommends. Guess that’s just how I roll.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?