Time to Throw Another Running Party
I haven't hosted a run in awhile, so I was overdue to indulge my inner Martha Stewart (actually, more like Sandra Lee of Semi-Homemade Cooking fame, minus the cocktails, tablescapes and decolletage). This morning was the first of two Welcome Committee events for the Rockin' 'n' Runnin' marathon training program. This is my fourth year as its chairwoman.
Each year is a little different, and each time I think it gets a little better. The preparation can be intense but well worth it. I didn't do as much baking due to time, but everyone contributed to a potluck. Did I mention up to 300 people were expected? I did bake an angel food cake last night while gathering every possible supply needed -- from serated knives to cut fruit to individual ice packs to toilet paper in case the public bathrooms ran out -- and bought almost 300 popsicles, which required some tricky logistics to keep them frozen until they were placed in a giant cooler. I packed them tight in my own cooler at 5:30 a.m., then stuffed remaining crevices with crushed ice. Then I had a momentary memory lapse on the drive to Mission Bay, got off at the wrong exit and in trying to correct the car, managed to spill the contents of the cooler everywhere. But, the sugary frozen treats survived and were well received.
I again made commemorative stickers that again had trouble staying affixed to sweaty skin and sweat-drenched shirts or shorts. That's Cynthia with a sheet of them in the above picture. And this year I brought a big spray bottle and designated a helper the "official mister." Linda did an outstanding job -- even if her style was a little in your face (he he). We did have one big glitch: someone else had commandeered the gazebo at Hospitality Point for a later event. We graciously moved to another spot and, everyone agreed, it turned out to be a better location for this 20-mile run around the city of San Diego.
We had some time to kill between setting up and the arrival of the fast group, so three of us went for a 40-minute run along Quivera Basin and Dana Landing. Afterward, we all agreed it was a great run. It's been quite a while (December, actually) that I've run with anyone else.
I get to do it all again in two weeks, for a 22-miler called the Gran Turismo di Mission Bay. I'd appreciate if the perfect weather would make a repeat appearance on May 10. I'll even save it a popsicle and piece of angel food cake if it does.