A Great Non-Running Running Day
I didn’t run today, but I feel as inspired and motivated as if I too braved the wind and heavy rains for the first run of this year’s Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon training program. I landed a coveted inside job helping hand out T-shirts and shoe tags, and got to briefly say hello to fellow running bloggers Irene and her husband Michael and Laura. But instead of running my feet, I mainly ran my mouth while hundreds of others circled a thoroughly drenched urban park.
Afterward, a group of us women went to brunch at Hob Nob Hill, a landmark restaurant near Balboa Park. I was in awe of each “sister” in my company. There was Tara, my one-time training partner who last year ended up as a last-minute marathon pacer despite a terrible training season and came through for all the racers with a few minutes to spare. Nancy is one of the track club’s most enthusiastic volunteers and looks terrific after diligently losing weight. Each marathon, instead of running a steady 26.2 miles, she runs the struggling others to the finish all day long. Cindy’s creativity, energy and even temperment could calm an army of angry hornets, and her dedication to her vegan diet and healthy living is admirable. And then there’s Marilyn, who has won nine Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon age group awards out of a possible 10 – the last one after having major surgery during the training season.
Mornings like today remind me of how much we can learn from others, and not just training tips. All of these women are accomplished runners, but they're also sensational in other areas. Importantly, they are willing to reach out to help others enjoy some of that same success. I hope that everyone has the chance to discover, hold and cherish relationships with people of high achievement who also are worthy of high respect. It’s amazing how much it can warm you on what is otherwise a cold and rainy day.
Afterward, a group of us women went to brunch at Hob Nob Hill, a landmark restaurant near Balboa Park. I was in awe of each “sister” in my company. There was Tara, my one-time training partner who last year ended up as a last-minute marathon pacer despite a terrible training season and came through for all the racers with a few minutes to spare. Nancy is one of the track club’s most enthusiastic volunteers and looks terrific after diligently losing weight. Each marathon, instead of running a steady 26.2 miles, she runs the struggling others to the finish all day long. Cindy’s creativity, energy and even temperment could calm an army of angry hornets, and her dedication to her vegan diet and healthy living is admirable. And then there’s Marilyn, who has won nine Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon age group awards out of a possible 10 – the last one after having major surgery during the training season.
Mornings like today remind me of how much we can learn from others, and not just training tips. All of these women are accomplished runners, but they're also sensational in other areas. Importantly, they are willing to reach out to help others enjoy some of that same success. I hope that everyone has the chance to discover, hold and cherish relationships with people of high achievement who also are worthy of high respect. It’s amazing how much it can warm you on what is otherwise a cold and rainy day.