So Many Stories to Tell
We were driving down the freeway towards the airport Sunday morning when we passed Mission Bay Drive and I had a clear view of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon frontrunners (based on their quick leg rotation and how far they were spaced apart) and thought: I wanna be like them. They all looked so fit and self-assured. Determined, too.
Then after we dropped off our Denver-bound daughter, I had a chance to see the midpackers moving along Morena Blvd. as we reversed our route back home. It was an incredible sight, just seeing all the individuals running among a collective of thousands. I’d never seen the marathon from this vantage point. Next year no one in this house is to arrange a flight for that morning so I can volunteer at an aid station and help everyone reach their destination.
Part of that massive pack of 20,000 included running bloggers Dawn from Calgary and Irene and her husband, Michael, with whom I was honored to have lunch Saturday downtown. My friends Louise and Tara joined us. The conversation never let up (how could it with me in charge?!) and everyone seemed ready to rock ‘n’ roll by the time we departed for the expo or pasta parties ... or me to set up for prom photos.



I’d already mentioned that I was concerned about Tara being the last-minute official 5:30 pacer. She was more than capable, but she hadn’t ever run that slowly so the pace felt foreign and there’s a lot of pressure, even if no one’s hoping you help them qualify for Boston.
Tara’s results were the first I checked when I eventually made it home Sunday evening from an all-day Grad Nite construction date. Not only did she get everyone there in 5:27 (perfect so those that fell slightly behind still nailed it), but she later reported the experience was a great one. She even saw Dawn at the start, so I was glad to have introduced them earlier.
Here’s what she wrote in an e-mail:
I then checked on Irene, who had a PR of 5:02! Then Phil, who turned in something really speedy, like a 3:50 day (hooray!) and Dawn (who beat her PR) and then a slew of track club members. I also saw that Kim turned in a 4:40! I didn’t check my friend Jeanette because she’d had major surgery in late January and hadn’t run more than 4 miles since returning to running about a month ago. Lo and behold, the woman defied good reason and ran it anyway, finishing in 6:13:39. I can’t believe it, but yet I can. Jeanette (my U.S. Figure Skating judge friend) is an amazing woman.
There are other amazing stories, I'm sure. Vicki, Andrea, Amy, Erica, Doug...all the ol' crew seemed to kick it yesterday. I am anxious to read about T's experience since it looks like it was a difficult day for him. I will have to find them after I've finished up my work for the week, head to the hand surgeon to remove a nasty cyst and then pack and ready for a red-eye flight to New England. I'll be posting some prom pictures before I do retreat from the computer for several days. Stay tuned.
Then after we dropped off our Denver-bound daughter, I had a chance to see the midpackers moving along Morena Blvd. as we reversed our route back home. It was an incredible sight, just seeing all the individuals running among a collective of thousands. I’d never seen the marathon from this vantage point. Next year no one in this house is to arrange a flight for that morning so I can volunteer at an aid station and help everyone reach their destination.
Part of that massive pack of 20,000 included running bloggers Dawn from Calgary and Irene and her husband, Michael, with whom I was honored to have lunch Saturday downtown. My friends Louise and Tara joined us. The conversation never let up (how could it with me in charge?!) and everyone seemed ready to rock ‘n’ roll by the time we departed for the expo or pasta parties ... or me to set up for prom photos.



I’d already mentioned that I was concerned about Tara being the last-minute official 5:30 pacer. She was more than capable, but she hadn’t ever run that slowly so the pace felt foreign and there’s a lot of pressure, even if no one’s hoping you help them qualify for Boston.
Tara’s results were the first I checked when I eventually made it home Sunday evening from an all-day Grad Nite construction date. Not only did she get everyone there in 5:27 (perfect so those that fell slightly behind still nailed it), but she later reported the experience was a great one. She even saw Dawn at the start, so I was glad to have introduced them earlier.
Here’s what she wrote in an e-mail:
“Yeah, I was happy to get the group in a bit early. We were 7-8 minutes ahead of pace until about mile 22-23, I slowed to walk over the bridge at Crown Point and then again off of the flood channel over the overpass to mile 23. There were a few troopers that hung with me the whole way, the main reason I held the sign the whole way. Once people were telling me that they were going to watch the sign and trying to keep up, I couldn’t chuck it. It really wasn’t as bad as I expected. I didn’t get any blisters, no soreness…it was only an issue when the wind picked up. One guy that stuck with me from Alaska suggested helium balloons for next year. Good idea!!
“I knew I wasn’t going to break last year’s record with my lack of training…so I said I might as well give up this race for someone else. After all the nervous eyes and questions ended after the first 5 miles, it was such a high to see the group so happy for finishing, most of them it was their first marathon…what a great feeling I had inside. A man from Alaska came to find me at the SDTC tent and thank me for getting him through it and said he’s coming back next year for sure. It was one of the men I met at the Expo. Another gentleman asked to take a picture with me, said that he kept his eye on me the whole time and finished right behind me. It was really a great experience. Plus everyone was cheering ‘Go pacer girl!’….”
I then checked on Irene, who had a PR of 5:02! Then Phil, who turned in something really speedy, like a 3:50 day (hooray!) and Dawn (who beat her PR) and then a slew of track club members. I also saw that Kim turned in a 4:40! I didn’t check my friend Jeanette because she’d had major surgery in late January and hadn’t run more than 4 miles since returning to running about a month ago. Lo and behold, the woman defied good reason and ran it anyway, finishing in 6:13:39. I can’t believe it, but yet I can. Jeanette (my U.S. Figure Skating judge friend) is an amazing woman.
There are other amazing stories, I'm sure. Vicki, Andrea, Amy, Erica, Doug...all the ol' crew seemed to kick it yesterday. I am anxious to read about T's experience since it looks like it was a difficult day for him. I will have to find them after I've finished up my work for the week, head to the hand surgeon to remove a nasty cyst and then pack and ready for a red-eye flight to New England. I'll be posting some prom pictures before I do retreat from the computer for several days. Stay tuned.