Race Review: Race for Literacy 8k

What does it mean when you learn you’re running in the country’s second largest 8k*?

You aren’t going to win.

What does it mean when you learn you’re running the country’s second largest 8k and it doesn’t use chip timing?

You aren’t going to use your real name.

Thus, I registered for today’s Race for Literacy under my married name, intending to take it easy as I toed the line with two other members of Team Alpha – Irene (I) and her husband Michael (M). I represented the letter S in a daughter-designed "S is for Silly" T-shirt, glammed up hat and hot pink mini hula skirt that made me look rather stupid and stout. Sorry, I forgot my camera.

They were five nice ‘n’ steady miles that ran through Balboa Park and Hillcrest, then down a scenic section of the 163 freeway and into the historic Gaslamp District before it all ended at a downtown park. For a change, it was mainly a flat or downhill course. The only downside: it was pretty darn hot. No clouds, no cool temps and no breeze.

I’d never worn an attention-grabbing outfit before. Initially, I caught compliments from the water station workers, who were mostly students. A few runners voiced their approval while we were on the freeway, then the denizens of downtown gave it up for the sweaty S Lady. Later, standing in line waiting for the shuttle, a group of young Asian runners were speaking in their native tongue. One turned to me, recognized the outfit and said, “You’re fast!” I begged to differ, but they said I’d been their rabbit.

I was going to make everyone guess my finish time, but it’s been a trying day for me and maybe for you too. So: official time was 43:06; unofficial 42:50 – a 8:37 min./mile average pace. And, just to put it in perspective – I was 8th out of 195 women in my division; 189th out of 1,958 women in all; and 592nd out of 3,227 finishers. Am I happy with those stats? Don't be silly.

*That's according to the Union-Tribune, the title sponsor and a Pulitzer Prize-winning paper.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?