Race Review: Lakeside River Park Trail 5k
I admit I’m enchanted by the part of San Diego County that hosted this morning’s 5k, with its unspoiled mountains, risky roadways and neighborhoods clinging to their rural roots. It also was nice to run with an enthusiastic field of unfamiliar faces.
The start and finish were within a huge dirt lot normally housing heavy machinery; the expo backdrop was a steel scrap yard, with the 67 freeway just beyond it. But within the industrial area is a natural preserve that race proceeds will help protect and broaden so that there’s eventually enough riverfront reclamation to maybe hold a 10k or half marathon from this same spot.
I know the course director, and he did a fantastic job. Not only was everything well organized, but the course was well marked and well manned and contained just enough obstacles to keep things interesting. (And great 60-degree, cloudy weather.) The hills weren’t a problem for me; the surface was. I lost my footing on some loose dirt climbing one hill and again after landing in a sandy pit following a steep drop. Through it all I kept my heart rate in just the right discomfort zone.
I did have constant pain in my butt that I recognized as an unhappy piriformis. Time to put the ass on ice for a few days to prevent further damage.
As we came up the final hill, a volunteer said, “You’re one of the first.” Didn’t make sense to me and I suspected he was telling everyone the same thing for a boost. But the guy who snuck by me at the very end later told me not many women had been through. We all finished to music by the Lakeside Middle School Advanced Band -- a really nice touch.
I finished in 27:55 (remember...it was a trail run). On this day, in this race, it was good enough to win my age group. I recognized only one other runner, Steve from the track club, who lives in Lakeside and who did his town proud by finishing 3rd overall among men.
That afternoon my husband and I drove to Oceanside to see my friend Akos at Ruby’s Diner and wish him well as he prepares to make a run for the top spot at the Badwater Ultramarathon. He’s been on a roll, most recently running 95 of the 175-mile Wild Miles Relay here with just one other team member in a little more than 25 hours, officially. He wouldn’t let us pay for our meals, not even to leave a tip. I’ve got my fingers crossed for him this summer, though I don’t think luck is going to matter. He’s a great athlete. And a great friend too.
The start and finish were within a huge dirt lot normally housing heavy machinery; the expo backdrop was a steel scrap yard, with the 67 freeway just beyond it. But within the industrial area is a natural preserve that race proceeds will help protect and broaden so that there’s eventually enough riverfront reclamation to maybe hold a 10k or half marathon from this same spot.
I know the course director, and he did a fantastic job. Not only was everything well organized, but the course was well marked and well manned and contained just enough obstacles to keep things interesting. (And great 60-degree, cloudy weather.) The hills weren’t a problem for me; the surface was. I lost my footing on some loose dirt climbing one hill and again after landing in a sandy pit following a steep drop. Through it all I kept my heart rate in just the right discomfort zone.
I did have constant pain in my butt that I recognized as an unhappy piriformis. Time to put the ass on ice for a few days to prevent further damage.
As we came up the final hill, a volunteer said, “You’re one of the first.” Didn’t make sense to me and I suspected he was telling everyone the same thing for a boost. But the guy who snuck by me at the very end later told me not many women had been through. We all finished to music by the Lakeside Middle School Advanced Band -- a really nice touch.
I finished in 27:55 (remember...it was a trail run). On this day, in this race, it was good enough to win my age group. I recognized only one other runner, Steve from the track club, who lives in Lakeside and who did his town proud by finishing 3rd overall among men.
That afternoon my husband and I drove to Oceanside to see my friend Akos at Ruby’s Diner and wish him well as he prepares to make a run for the top spot at the Badwater Ultramarathon. He’s been on a roll, most recently running 95 of the 175-mile Wild Miles Relay here with just one other team member in a little more than 25 hours, officially. He wouldn’t let us pay for our meals, not even to leave a tip. I’ve got my fingers crossed for him this summer, though I don’t think luck is going to matter. He’s a great athlete. And a great friend too.