A run for the money

It wasn't as big of news as Katie anchoring the evening news or Rosie rejoining daytime TV, but I recently lost my title as CFO of our household. The chairman decided he didn't like how I handled the finances and, without notifying the other shareholders in the family, began a hostile takeover.

Driving home today from a weekend trip to Pasadena to attend an outdoor concert with my sister, I began plotting how I'd shuffle funds to hide certain expenses like my new oldies CD featuring "Bertha Butt Boogie." It's a lot harder when I can't control Quicken and can't make sense of his bookkeeping style. I paid bills every Saturday; he waits until the day before they are all due. I rounded up amounts so the ledger looked "pretty"; he pays to the exact penny. I pulled us into the red by honoring any on-the-spot procurement requests for Stila makeup, Discount Dance shoes, running shoes, cute shorts, jog bras galore, Coolmax socks, Balance bars, ebay and Amazon binges and iTunes to keep the MP3 music "fresh." He got us back in the black with his catchy new slogan: "Oh, hell no."

This could be viewed as proof I was in over my head. But I'm instead planning to head over to The Running Institute to splurge on new running gear soon as I get the green light -- from the doctor, not the dictator. It's the least I can do to show my appreciation.

By the way, congratulations to Yvonne on the birth of future New York City Marathon record-holder Kyla Catherine. I'm sure mom's ready to start coaching her on how to beat Paula's kid when the time comes....

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?