Glad to be among the labored

I spent the holiday weekend quickly re-acclimating to a much more active life. I ran my own errands, dished with one friend at a cool cafe in Normal Heights, drove another friend -- long the chauffer on our adventures -- to the movies in Poway and in general enjoyed having more say in my day. I even hit a Coronado beach Sunday, making it on my own through the thick sand and standing with my daughter for as long as I wanted while the teeth-rattling Pacific lapped at my unsightly two-toned legs.

I walked 15 minutes early Saturday morning, then 20 on Sunday and 30 today, with an increasingly fainter feeling in my injured hip. I spent a couple of hours today doing work at a Starbuck's and now, jacked up on caffeine, I could sure use another walk. My goal is to keep at it by the time the MRI’s findings are revealed later this month. That’s when I hope to quicken my steps and breaths into a full-out run. In the meantime, I’m content to just be able to mail bills down the block or grab ATM money across the street without making it a major production.

Yes, the sameness of summer finally is giving way to a fall full of promise.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?