Less in the Coming Year
Sometimes I wonder if we establish New Year's resolutions now because of how hard winter holidays hit. The angst of family gatherings. The aching reminders of those we've loss. The accumulation of gifts in need of a place to go. The scale that doesn't budge (at best) due to the uptick in treats. The end-of-year work assignments weighing on us. The exercise routines uprooted by inclement weather or injury.
Even under the best of circumstances, something always feels off right about now.
That's why in 2024, I'm committing to less.
Less junk work that dilutes quality. Less negative thoughts. Less mindless scrolling. Less yelling. Less sugar contributing to inflammation. Less carbs that make me crabby. Less caffeine that impacts sleep. Less trips to the store because I'm bored. Less guilt saying "No." Less talking. Less sitting. Less bad TV. Less social media.
For me, this has less to do with consumption and more with capacity. I don't want to quantify success with preset goals tracked on calendars or diaries and logs. I just want to be more intentional with my time. (And, if I were attempting such accountability, technically my Word of the Year would be fewer, not less.)
Looking back on this year's word, preserve, I did well. My skin, teeth and hair are in much better shape. My organs, relatively speaking, are as well. My house has benefited from seasonal deep cleans. My stuff is more organized. I went on more outings with friends. I held tight to the rules of engagement with certain family members. I kept our finances flush despite a decent drop in income. My patio garden is thriving. My freelance career too.
Now I want to declutter ... everywhere. Speak less. Eat less. Do less. Only then can I make room for other endeavors, like the books I've yet to read and the one I need to finish writing. I want to respond more quickly to a friend in need. I want to initiate calls to my sisters, rather than routinely ignore theirs that always come at a bad time. I want to witness glorious sunrises and sunsets (like the one in the photo above) that bookend fulfilling, not frenzied days. I want to make more meals with love. Handwrite more notes of appreciation.
There may be less entries here too. It all depends on the direction my year of less takes. Stay tuned, everyone, there's more to come.
