So, Are Neck Gaiters Good or Not?
I waited a few weeks to weigh in on the latest face cover controversy: whether or not to toss the neck gaiters that runners and hikers favor when encountering others on roads, sidewalks or trails. It’s convenient and allows someone to continue exercising at their current pace and capacity without exposing their exhales to those nearby. Or, so we all thought. A widely publicized study by some Duke University researchers cast doubt on neck gaiters’ efficiency in preventing aspirants from contaminating someone else’s space. Certain masks and bandanas are at risk too.
I read the article, and those that followed, and then waited for the social media buildup and inevitable takedown. Anyone familiar with studies knows the one at Duke did not meet scientific standards—even the people performing the “tests” admitted as much. Their point, and those that publicized it, was to get people to reconsider their protective gear. I definitely have seen a drop in use since the study came out.
No one seems to disagree that some face covers are better than others. But aerosol engineers (yes, that’s apparently a true profession) aren’t convinced neck gaiters are useless or even dangerous as the Duke team initially claimed. And, they and others argue that no protection is not a great alternative. Here in California, no one is required to wear a face cover while running or cycling but if you don’t, you must stay at least six feet from people. And, you need to put something on soon as you stop and cooldown if other people are around. When someone runs near you without a mask, move out of their way if they don’t and pull up your face shields if you haven’t already.
But what about when you’re in the supermarket or waiting for a doctor’s appointment? Standing in line at the pharmacy? Should you wear only well-fitted, double-sided paper or cloth masks with a pocket to add a layer of protection (since the single layers also appear to fall short on results)?
While there may be some people with breathing issues who cannot tolerate any mouth or nose covering, let alone both, those are also the very people who need to remain shut in since they likely would develop a severe case of COVID-19 due to inherent respiratory issues. Cold season will certainly complicate things, but no one wants to be coughing in public anymore. And to those who carry around a “note from their doctor” claiming they are exempt from face masks: No one believes you. No legitimate healthcare professional would issue such a waiver. After all, these are the men and women trying to slow the spread for professional and personal reasons.
As for me, I’m going to continue using my neck gaiter on runs and hikes since I do both early enough to avoid crowds and can easily maneuver out of the way when I do have a human encounter. But I’m switching to more widely sanctioned face covers at all other times I’m in public. It’s the least I can do for my fellow citizens who, I’d like to think, would do the same for me.
