Hiking South Bay: Be Good to Your ‘Mother’
San Diegans tend to stick close to home on the weekends. Which is why driving down to South Bay to hike Mother Miguel Mountain this morning was a bit of a big deal. There just aren’t that many opportunities for a substantial hike in or around Chula Vista. And the Rock House Trail is probably the most popular and certainly best known. [Do not confuse it with nearby Mt. Miguel, which is no longer accessible.]
Until yesterday, I thought we had a local guide. My friend Happy was going to join us and show us the way to get around. But an 8 a.m. plumber visit nixed that plan. That’s when I started doing some digging into where to go and how to get to the rockpile holding up two flags that mark the summit. And here’s where I was reminded to closely examine reviews before drawing assumptions. Most called the trail steep and many recommended hiking shoes and poles, particularly going back down. And everyone seemed to remark about the signage, or lack thereof. But degree of difficulty seemed dependent on how much someone hiked.
Park officials seem to have heard critics; we found plenty of signage and barriers to keep you on the official path – which looked relatively new and designed to prevent further erosion and not disturb habitats. There are two trailheads, both close to each other. One is at the end of a cul de sac (Paseo Veracruz) and the other is at the end of a parking lot in Mt. Miguel Regional Park (also off Paseo Veracruz). We went via the park, which had open bathrooms we needed.
We followed everyone’s advice and brought plenty of water since the entire trail is exposed. We left the poles in the car trunk. I later regretted that since I was the one who kept slipping on scree and loose dirt. I also used the AllTrails app for the first time – it won’t be the last. Given the excellent cell reception, we were able to easily follow the correct path up.
We passed some purple-flowered thistle and a lot of wildflowers holding on to the last of spring. I’d been warned about tarantula hawks but only saw one and it was at a safe distance. We currently have a den of coyotes living in my housing development, and the other day a trio of juveniles managed to corner me and my geriatric dog. We got away after I went all “alpha” on them, but all the coyote scat on the trail had me on high alert.
This is a busy place, though. And, thankfully, someone else scared off a baby rattlesnake on the path during our return.
The top is a social media maven’s dream: picturesque and pose-worthy. We took a fair number of shots, tried to find Tijuana and eventually headed back down before the marine layer burned off and the temps rose considerably. We started down around 8:30 a.m. and there were still plenty of people coming up.
I highly recommend taking the switchbacks both up and down. For starters, those are the rules. The last quarter of the trail is steep no matter which route you take, but the switchbacks aren’t just to make it easier on your legs and lungs; it’s to give the real residents--the wildlife--some breathing room. And to keep a fragile area from further deterioration by so many people forging their own preferred path.
We saw some motorized paragliders on the way down, which was cool. As we returned to flatter terrain, I noticed several trails to our left and wondered aloud if we should take one of them. No one heard nor heeded my recommendation, so we forged on. It took a good half mile of uphill to realize we’d picked the wrong route. (I won’t gloat about which one we should have taken.)
That’s when someone remembered my app, and that’s how we probably saved ourselves more mileage and muscle soreness. All in all, I highly recommend adding this trail to your list, whether visiting or living here. It was well worth the trip south for us, and I suspect it would be for you too.