Night Moves

I was trying to think of the last true night race I did and best I could recall it was the annual Rockville Runfest 8k in Maryland that our family did for about four years in a row. Then we moved and that was all she wrote.
Those that have followed our family can guess at how long ago this photo must have been taken (I'm in pink shorts), given the little girl with the number was in kindergarten and now she's a kindergarten teacher. And the one being carried by her dad is now 5'8".
With night races, you don't have to worry about waking up on time, but you do typically hit more traffic. You must manage your fuel and your day differently. I remember this vividly from the Niantic Bay 10k my girlfriends and I did a few years ago in coastal Connecticut, but that began and ended in daylight.
Tonight I'm again running after dark, this time at Balboa Park. It's a 5k to benefit San Diego Crimestoppers and it's kinda cool that our group is part of the San Diego Sheriff's Department team. We wanted to go in costume but I think we planned it too late. I'm not sure what to eat in the hours leading up to the race. I'm not sure how I'll feel since I haven't been running due to bursitis. I do know it'll be fun regardless.