5 Reasons to Hit the Trail This Weekend

1. It’s good for your brain. No kidding, a University of Michigan study found people learned better by walking in the woods than on busy city streets.
2. It’s probably cooler than anywhere else outdoors right now. Even here in idyllic San Diego, it’s become really, really hot. Any shade is greatly appreciated. And trees are our friends, supplying us with oxygen instead of noxious car fumes and heat waves coming off the sidewalks.
3. You can try out that technique I mentioned in an earlier post. Actually, I looked far and wide on the Interweb and found squat about this, so I am starting to think it may not work well for people. It’s also hard to describe and I lack the talent to shoot myself on video while running up a steep hill. Essentially, slightly shift your hip to the left 10 steps and then to the right 10 steps and keep alternating until you reach the top. This changes up the muscles you’re using and serves as a distraction from the hard effort.
4. The races really rock. Trail races are gaining popularity, but the narrow, rock-strewn pathways and permits pretty much prevent the mass chaos of many road races now. You have to be comfortable running alone, keeping up with the crowd on single tracks and doing without spectators. Walkers don't move up in the starting line, either. Plus, everyone knows longer trail races have the best aid stations ever.
5. Tomorrow is National Trail Running Day.
2. It’s probably cooler than anywhere else outdoors right now. Even here in idyllic San Diego, it’s become really, really hot. Any shade is greatly appreciated. And trees are our friends, supplying us with oxygen instead of noxious car fumes and heat waves coming off the sidewalks.
3. You can try out that technique I mentioned in an earlier post. Actually, I looked far and wide on the Interweb and found squat about this, so I am starting to think it may not work well for people. It’s also hard to describe and I lack the talent to shoot myself on video while running up a steep hill. Essentially, slightly shift your hip to the left 10 steps and then to the right 10 steps and keep alternating until you reach the top. This changes up the muscles you’re using and serves as a distraction from the hard effort.
4. The races really rock. Trail races are gaining popularity, but the narrow, rock-strewn pathways and permits pretty much prevent the mass chaos of many road races now. You have to be comfortable running alone, keeping up with the crowd on single tracks and doing without spectators. Walkers don't move up in the starting line, either. Plus, everyone knows longer trail races have the best aid stations ever.
5. Tomorrow is National Trail Running Day.