Long Day, Indeed
I am sitting in an otherwise pitch-black room with very angry intestines and a wary mind that’s been in an all-night power struggle with sleep. I’m sick, but it’s the worst kind of sick: It’s completely self-induced.
Truthfully, I didn’t drink that much wine. And if mixing reds and whites causes both upset stomach and scratchy throat, this is news to me. Yesterday morning I had to abort my run due to too many bathroom visits. That should have been my warning to watch what I ate. Technically I did as I wolfed down wild salmon and baby greens for lunch and then post-meal popcorn and muffins and cookies that someone ordered for an offsite meeting. That was followed closely by calamari and more booze as we ate and drank our way to a $500 minimum food and drink tab. Within 30 minutes of everyone leaving the bar, I was pulling into a private parking area in downtown Del Mar for a summer solstice party featuring more wine that the host served with assorted grapes and cheeses. I was highly encouraged to try everything at least once.
Mickey Avalon was playing in the background and the twentysomethings in charge of music were startled by my instant recognition of a tune. I guess they all know the singer from somewhere besides the radio. So it went as we all stood on the balcony watching the sun set over the sea and a festival on the town green below. Oh, I met a lawyer who was in Aspen during the Food & Wine Show that featured the Top Chef finale. Most interesting was one competition that apparently never made it onto the show because someone was drunk off her ass. I also never knew until last night that Padma had been briefly married to the author Salmon Rushdie. And bananas are going to become our most expensive, rather than least, fruit per pound. I wonder what they’ll substitute for post-race refreshments. I wonder if I should try to eat one now, before another day gets away from me.
Truthfully, I didn’t drink that much wine. And if mixing reds and whites causes both upset stomach and scratchy throat, this is news to me. Yesterday morning I had to abort my run due to too many bathroom visits. That should have been my warning to watch what I ate. Technically I did as I wolfed down wild salmon and baby greens for lunch and then post-meal popcorn and muffins and cookies that someone ordered for an offsite meeting. That was followed closely by calamari and more booze as we ate and drank our way to a $500 minimum food and drink tab. Within 30 minutes of everyone leaving the bar, I was pulling into a private parking area in downtown Del Mar for a summer solstice party featuring more wine that the host served with assorted grapes and cheeses. I was highly encouraged to try everything at least once.
Mickey Avalon was playing in the background and the twentysomethings in charge of music were startled by my instant recognition of a tune. I guess they all know the singer from somewhere besides the radio. So it went as we all stood on the balcony watching the sun set over the sea and a festival on the town green below. Oh, I met a lawyer who was in Aspen during the Food & Wine Show that featured the Top Chef finale. Most interesting was one competition that apparently never made it onto the show because someone was drunk off her ass. I also never knew until last night that Padma had been briefly married to the author Salmon Rushdie. And bananas are going to become our most expensive, rather than least, fruit per pound. I wonder what they’ll substitute for post-race refreshments. I wonder if I should try to eat one now, before another day gets away from me.