Inspiration: noun, in(t)-spe-'rÁ-shen

To running bloggers like D and Shore Turtle: Thanks for reminding me that being the best you can be takes hard work. If the outcome comes close to your level of training – and it will! -- you’ll be sporting big, big smiles in about another week, just like all the other outstanding bloggers who’ve gone before you this season. So many PRs! You people keep this up and I might have to do something crazy like track my mile splits.

To Louise: Thanks for giving me more incentive to go to the gym. Sitting across from you at lunch today and discovering you’re almost 10 pounds lighter, 3 inches trimmer and, gosh darn it, 6 minutes faster than me now made me pedal harder and farther on that bike. Who knows, your 200-calorie salads could be next.

To Cate: Thanks for that e-mail mentioning that because of me you started running. And now here you are heading into your first half marathon. We’ve come a long way since drunken dinners before Leon Russell concerts, haven’t we? I know I was supposed to run alongside you on the Outer Banks this weekend, but I’ll be there in spirit. Think of me as that gentle wind that pushes you from Jockey’s Ridge to Manteo. And if it should be a mighty headwind instead, think of all the hard times you’ve faced in recent years. Does it really compare to a little forceful air?

To the guy in the blue football jersey at the Semper Fit gym this afternoon, the one who looked like he belonged in GQ instead of Iraq: Thanks for the smile in the weight room. Because of it, I added 10 pounds and an extra set of reps at all my machines.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?