More Revelations From Running on the Edge

It took last week's track-centric Turkey Trot for me to realize when my plan or my digestive system veers off-course, I flake. Last night's discovery may prove more positive.

I've only been doing speedwork on a bona fide track for the past couple of years, since joining the San Diego Track Club's annual marathon training program for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. Prior, I used measured bikepaths or quarter-mile street blocks when I was so inclined.

Last night was, according to our coach, the hardest workout of the year. 6 x 1 mile repeats with a 400m recovery jog in between. Those of us running this Saturday's Mainly Masters 10k were spared the final mile and instead continued to jog until it was time for our series of 100-yard strides, followed by core-strengthening exercises. I stayed in Lane 5, which was wider than Lanes 1-4, of course. It's the outermost lane for the Intermediate Group to use.

As running buddy Mark and I rounded the final lap for the first mile, his GPS-enabled watch started beeping. It turns out that was the mile mark, not the line 100m ahead, and we'd done it in 8:46 and not 9:13 as the timekeeper would note. That made me realize that all those miles I'd logged on the track were longer and thus, I actually moved more quickly than I'd thought. Granted, the idea is to stay in your lane and stay consistent with your times for each rotation, so "time" is relative. But I suddenly felt lighter upon realizing I had indeed gained some speed this fall -- and without really trying.

The real test will come on Saturday when I run the master's 10k on Fiesta Island. My goal is simple: Try not to finish last in this fast crowd. And run hard, of course.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?